We are adding the Lunar Cube Module in 2016.1 to our CubeSat Toolbox for MATLAB! It allows users to analyze and simulateCubeSats in lunar transfer and lunar orbit. It includes a new dynamical model for CubeSats that includes:
- Earth, Moon and Sun gravity based on the JPL ephemerides
- Spherical harmonic lunar gravity model
- Reaction wheels
- Power generation from solar panels
- Battery energy storage
- Variable mass due to fuel consumption
- Solar pressure disturbances
- Lunar topographic model
- New graphics functions for lunar orbit operations
- Lunar targeting function
- Lunar mission control function for attitude control and orbit control
The module includes a script with a simulation of a 6U Cubesat leaving Earth orbit and reaching the moon. The following figure shows the Earth to Moon trajectory.
This figure shows the transfer orbit near the moon. The lunar topography is exaggerated by a factor of 10 to make it visible. It is based on Clementine measurements.
Here are results from the new LunarTargeting function. It finds optimal transfers to lunar orbits. The first shows the transfer path to the Moon’s sphere of influence.
The next shows the lunar hyperbolic orbit. In this case the transfer is into a high inclination lunar orbit.
Contact us for more information!